Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Losing Focus

I'm becoming less defined as days go by fading away well you might say I'm losing focus....
Ms. Laura Tharp

I was cruising Facebook today (who wasn't, lol) and came across something my little sis said. And it struck a cord with me so I do what I normally do and blog about it.

She says she is losing focus, fading away. Well, she has every reason to get lost in her life, she is working and going to school full time. Life does get manic and I very much understand what she is saying.

But giving the wisdom of my age (hey, I gotta get something for living this long!) I said to her to take some time away from it all. Do something that you really like, like go get an ice cream cone and eat it slowly. The only real rule is you have to put everything aside for that time, the TV, the school work, the job - all of it. And focus on the goodness of yourself. Don't allow yourself to think of anything important or necessary.

My favorite thing to do is to go outside and look at nature. Not just see it, but really look at it. Go up to a tree and examine the bark, look at all the nook and crannies. Find a flower, even in a grocery store for those of you in those silly cold states, and study it. What color is it really? How many petals does it have? What is the texture of the petals?

When you make your mind focus on the beauty of the world around you and give yourself a real break, you will find that when you allow your mind to go back to work and the studies that you will have a fresher, more lively outlook. Things will be clearer and easier to understand.

I know you are saying, I can't do that, I have no time. That is a load of horse droppings! Yes, I will admit it is hard to do - who would have thought looking at nature is hard - but it is. As we grow up we make the mistake of thinking we have to leave our childhood behind us. We don't, we just need to pack it in a cotton lined box so that when we need it, it is all safe and sound for us to take out.

Doing something silly or relaxing or joyful with no thought of important stuff allowed - as when we were children (my biggest concern was getting the proper leaves for my mud pie) - will give our mind, body and soul the break it so desperately needs and so richly deserves.

Then when we again come to the 'hard' stuff our focus will be back and we will see that we have again found ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment